The groundbreaking strategy of the city was set up by Swiss-French engineer Le Corbusier, which changed from prior plans made by the Polish draftsman Maciej Nowicki and Albert Mayer from America.
Recently as per Chandigarh census data, 47.67% houses are owned while 46.96% were rented. In all, 69.12% couples in Chandigarh lived in single family. In 2011, 80.11% of Uttar Pradesh population had access to Banking and Non-Banking Finance Corporation.
Chandigarh Population 2020
As per projected data, the population of Chandigarh will be 11.55 lakhs in 2020.
|Approximate Population||10.55 Lakhs||9.01 Lakh|
|Percantage of total Population||0.09%||0.09%|
|Child Sex Ratio||880||845|
|Total Child Population (0-6 Age)||119,434||115,613|
|Male Population (0-6 Age)||63,536||62,664|
|Female Population (0-6 Age)||55,898||52,949|
|Literacy||86.05 %||81.94 %|
|Male Literacy||89.99 %||86.14 %|
|Female Literacy||81.19 %||76.47 %|
Chandigarh Population 2020 by Religion – Religious Data
|Not Available||1,014||0.10 %|
|Other Religion||246||0.02 %|
Chandigarh Urban and Rural Population in 2011
|Population (%)||2.75 %||97.25 %|
|Population Growth||-68.53 %||26.96 %|
|Child Sex Ratio (0-6)||871||880|
|Child Population (0-6)||4,270||115,164|
|Child Percentage (0-6)||14.73 %||11.22 %|
|Average Literacy||80.75 %||86.19 %|
|Male Literacy||85.77 %||90.11 %|
|Female Literacy||47.55 %||65.32 %|
Chandigarh Metropolitan and City Population 2011 Census
|Chandigarh (Municipal Corporation)||961,587||525,629||435,958|
|Large Metropolitan Region||Population||Male||Female|
Chandigarh Literacy Rate 2011
- Literacy rate in Chandigarh was 86.05% as per 2011 population census. Male 89.99%, Female 81.19%
- Literacy rate in Chandigarh was 81.94% as per 2001 population census. Male 86.14%, Female 76.47%
Chandigarh Density 2011
- Total area of Chandigarh is 114 sq. km.
- 2011: Density of Chandigarh is 9,258 per sq km
- 2001: Density of Chandigarh was 7,900 per sq km
Chandigarh Gender Ratio
- 2011: Sex Ratio in Chandigarh was Female 818 / 1000 male
- 2001: Sex Ratio in Chandigarh was Female 777 / 1000 male
Chandigarh 2020-21 Population Projection
Quick Facts About Chandigarh
- Area: 114 Sq. km
- Population: 10.6 lakhs (2011)
- Formation of Union territory: 1 November 1966
Chandigarh has a multitude of sports and recreation facilities. In the northeast is the large, artificial Lake Sukhna, which has become the main spot in the city for promenading and evening recreation.
Article first published on December 12, 2019.